Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My kids are not born Christians



My kids are not born Christians.

I am a Christian. My husband is a Christian. We will raise our children in a Christian (and hopefully, godly) way. But in no way would that make them Christians. Nope, not at all. Going to church, listening to Bible stories, and knowing the 'right' answer to every Sunday school question will not get them into heaven, i.e. an eternal relationship with the God who created us, loves us, and saved us.

Does this surprise you? For those who know me, you're probably thinking, "Yeah right, as if you don't want your kids to be Christians!", and you're probably right. Of course I want my kids to be Christians. But I can't force them, and it's not up to me anyway. Each of my children will have to make his/her own choice, just as I have been able to make my own choice in becoming a Christian (thank you to my parents, though not Christians themselves, who allowed me this freedom!).

I don't know how many years I'll have to wait. I might die before any of my children become Christians. My only prayer is that my hubby and I, despite our sinfulness, weaknesses and mistakes, can reflect even just a little of God's great love so that they may be drawn to want to know Him. Then love Him. Then follow Him.

2 comments:

  1. Very true. We have such little control over our children's ultimate choices about God - it's not something we would or could ever impose on them. As with any of our friends or relatives we can only model the love of Christ to them and hope and pray they want to discover what we have :) Beautifully said, thanks so much for this xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed :-)

      P.S. thx so much for always reading and commenting! I really appreciate it!!

      Delete